(Margaret Cannon, The Globe and Mail)
The woman who sat for Sir Edward Burne-Jones was nineteen-year-old Caroline Fitzgerald. Although she never lived in Toronto, her father William J. Fitzgerald was a member of the first class of students at Upper Canada College in 1830. After legal studies at Trinity College, Dublin, William returned to Toronto. At the time of our story (1856), he is believed to have been practising law at 43 King Street W. In the 1860s, he moved to New York City and married Mary A. White. Caroline was born there, the couple’s first child.
The painting is in the collection of the University of Toronto Art Centre.
(Paul Quarrington, author of King Leary and Whale Music)
Campbell House was built in 1822 by Upper Canada Chief Justice Sir William Campbell. The extraordinary amount of glass in the façade made the house airy, bright, beautiful — and expensive to heat.